From everyone here at Renovate Your World, have a happy and safe 4th of July weekend!

For those households who plan to celebrate with fireworks, here are some important safety tips courtesy of the safety-first folk at the CPSC:

  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
  • Avoid buying fireworks that come in brown paper packaging, as this can often be a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and could pose a danger to consumers.
  • Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents often don’t realize that there are many injuries from sparklers to children under five.
  • Never have any portion of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Move away to a safe distance immediately after lighting.
  • Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not gone off or fully functioned.
  • Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
  • Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
  • Light one item at a time then move away quickly.
  • Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
  • After fireworks have gone off and fully functioned, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding to prevent a trash fire.
  • Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.
 Also, remember that sparklers burn at 2000 F or hotter. That’s hot enough to melt copper. Keep sparklers out of the hands of toddlers and make sure all children handling these fireworks are aware of their potential danger!

    Happy 4th!

    Credit: CPSC Firework Safety