A panel molding ceiling that has joinery like a glass cabinet door

Home Forums Woodworking Q & A A panel molding ceiling that has joinery like a glass cabinet door

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    PaulComi
    Participant

Hey Tommy just seems like something right up your alley. I’m doing a ceiling that is influenced by what I believe is a Moorish style. The home has strong Spanish influence arch passageways beam ceilings. For the dining room they want to do something pretty special although the ceiling height is not high enough to lend itself to a truly beamed coffered honeycomb ceiling.

The layout is based on a 12 x 12 grid as you can see in my sketch below. The plan is to install a six-inch would crown molding around the perimeter and then form the intersecting geometric layout using a panel molding.

My question is if it were you doing the ceiling knowing that there’s going to be some regularities where do you advise in order to deal with all the intersections of these panel moldings? i’m vacillating back-and-forth between making all the square and stop sign shaped objects in my shop so that they will be consistent and then joining everything together with all the diagonal parts. The alternative that I see is to run the diagonal strips intersected with the opposing diagonal strips first and then overlay the squares and stop sign shapes essentially stabbing them in with a marking knife and then carving the joinery using a dovetail saw and sharp chisels

PaulComi
    Participant

ceiling sketch

PaulComi
    Participant

layout for panel moulding

Well hopefully the picture uploads now see you can see what I’m talking about

kentstanford
    Participant

I have got a door from http://caldwells.com/sliding-closet-door-hardware and certainly need partial make over, does it works with this idea?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.